BBQ Drumsticks


First I have to say I have made these several times for my husband and I, they are so good and very filling to say the least. Why make bbq wings when you can have drumsticks... I don't know, my husband never liked the little wings because he claims they don't have enough meat on the bone and he has a big appetite so he asked me to get the drumsticks instead. Now we usually purchase a big packet that has a lot of them and for the two of us really two each is more then enough I think, so I usually split the package in to four or five bags. You will see in the picture below that I just had two extra so I just put the rest in a larger bag for left overs if we want, but knowing my husband it won't last as left overs that's how good they are. The prep time will vary depending on if you need to defrost the chicken, the marinate is about an hour or up to when you want to start dinner.

These are the spices I use, you can switch them out if you like and what ever you please
but these are the ones that I use like I said.

Garlic powder
Salt or Garlic salt if you want
Black pepper
New Orleans style seafood and chicken seasoning
Memphis style bbq seasoning

I also used
BBQ sauce and hot sauce
Hot sauce is optional you can a little or add a lot or not at all that is fine too
Let this recipe inspire you to tweak it to your own tastes because cooking can be fun and easy too.

In a mixing bowl mix
1 cup of BBQ sauce
tea spoon of
salt and pepper, garlic powder, Memphis style bbq seasoning, and New Orleans style seasoning
1/2 tea spoon hot sauce




Mix everything together and adjust spices as needed, again this is how I make it for us.

If you have a frozen bag of drumsticks make sure they are defrosted because you will add half of the mix of bbq sauce to the bag
Let them sit for at least an hour make sure you massage the sauce so each drumstick gets coated and it's okay if you didn't make a lot you will use the rest during the cooking process.


*I ran out of the BBQ sauce so I made only a little, but usually I make the sauce using a cup of BBQ sauce.
I adjusted the hot sauce with more of the spices so it's not too hot for us to eat and like I said I ran out of the BBQ sauce
In a large pan (large enough to fit the drumsticks) grease the pan with veggie oil just enough to cover the bottom
preheat the oven to 400 degrees

approximate cook time is 50 min to an hour
before you put them in the oven brush the sauce on to the chicken coating both sides
* You will be repeating this step 3 more times ever 15 min so make sure you have enough for that too
The reason you do this is to keep it moist through out the cooking process
In the last few minutes you can cover the pan with foil paper, I did this because my husband gets home at 9:50 pm and dinner was ready at 9:30 pm I turned off the oven but kept the pan with the foil paper on to keep it warm until he got home.


I love that the meat is falling off the bone, forgive me because I didn't make any sides with this and that's because we have to do some shopping this weekend but you can add a side to this like fries or potato wedges and a salad :-) I am still working on my plating skills.

I hope you will enjoy this recipe it is my own, I used what I had and adjusted it each time I made it. I have to say it's a lot of fun to come up with something on your own just by using the basics of a recipe.

Enjoy!


My Mom's Middle Eastern Menu





Comments

Popular Posts